Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Intergenerational Change

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiQgOpUHSN4HKO3YN_5V-32ct71NVSNXhYcGJaWn-jixVi1m7Ps-qZl6D8SPIYNsYGDB3jYcwFw3NrvlX3WF97HASZwSQ654I3l7idEVkVJAckz9r9iq9HlsXEE-hdAFFYt_xOoFVcIJrk/s1600/112105_generations.jpg

     The discussion in class today focussed on intergenerational continuity and change. As I have mentioned in my previous posts, I come from a pretty traditional family. In fact from what I have been told, the family I grew up with is nearly identical to the one that my father grew up with, and likely the one that my grandfather grew up with as well. The men in my family come from a long line of traditional, strict, and stubborn farmers. My father has great respect for my grandfather and that way that he was raised, and he carries on an identical parenting routine with my brother and I. My brother sees my father in the same way, and I am positive that when my brother has a family of his own the cycle will continue. I find it very interesting however, that both of my aunts (my father’s sisters) have family routines much different from the ones that they were raised in. Similarly, I have never had any intention in following in my father’s footsteps and raising my own children the way that I was raised. I have always wondered if this is a matter of personal opinion or if it is a gender difference. I cannot help but think that it is too much to be coincidence and is fact a matter of how females are treated in our traditional family. I personally do not feel like I was treated badly as a female; however there are certainly specific gender roles within my family that do not cross. I hope that when I have a family of my own I am able to teach my children that even though many traditions from the past, such as respecting your elders, are still very important in our modern society. At the same time, I want my children to value gender equality and put less focus on specific gender roles than my parents did for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment